« Home | back » | at long last » | a-o-k » | heading » | chapter one » | wednesday » | back to school » | yom kippur » | i love this » | unbelievable »

door

I'd been thinking that we'd go to Minneapolis to visit our dear friend Peggy, hit the Mall of America, bop around and see the colors in the great north. George came home on Thursday and said he'd booked us a house on the water in Door County, Wisconsin. I'd never been up there and was a bit put out that he was raining on my parade, but in the interest of peace and harmony managed to keep my mouth shut. (Nod sagely...) We stayed in Sturgeon Bay, in a dumpy little house right on the water. We drove around and around, looking at the colors and talking about buying a place and stopping to check out the art fair, the pumpkin farm, the rocky Lake Michigan shore. It was a lovely few days with George and the children -- completely relaxing. I have such a fondness for rural America. We went into Fish Creek on Saturday night for a fishboil. George raved and raved about the spectacle and great food. Fish Creek -- great little beach town, right next to Egg Harbor (a Jacobs family favorite breakfast spot). The food wasn't all that -- salted water, Lake Michigan Whitefish (eeew), red potatoes, small sweet onions in a vast cauldron, gurgling away pretty merrily until ka-fvoooom!, the beefcake throws a pitcher of kerosene on the fire and it tosses up an explosion's worth of fire that the saltwater boiling over quickly douses. My girls are better eaters than I was at their age, they both ate the fish and loved it. I like my fish like my steaks, for the most part. (Jen, was I totally ridiculous eating lobster in Boston that time? Yesyesyes....) Now we're back and I'm doing some housekeeping -- emotional and otherwise. Gearing seriously up for Hawaii. Starting to think about what I'm going to look like in a bathing suit. (eeek!) Working on the book, the bridge, the body. Oooh, Baby!