« Home | look » | regular angst » | the end » | ambition » | Too tired to be witty. Or clever. Or even cohe... » | character » | journal wednesdays » | door » | back » | at long last »

too much

Talking. When my reading group read through the first chunk of text (roughly corresponding to chapters 1 & 2), they came back and said there was just way too much talking. Too true. My second chunk of text comes up in the workshop tonight. I anticipate more "too much talking." Again that's a good and fair criticism, and one I'm spending lots of time working through. The truth is, I have an ear for dialogue; it comes easily to me. When I'm stuck in a section, I dip into the conversations to see what's going on, and therefore my chapters are pretty dialogue-heavy. This morning I'm reading Lee Child and Elizabeth George for some perspective on effective ways of showing without telling. Seems like something I should know by now. Like I said, I may fail. Booking the spring and summer bridge travel this week. Very exciting. We're actually working on planning a summer at home. Wow. Haven't had one of those ... since who knows when! Taking a short blogging break starting this evening, will be back early next week.