« Home | from the journal » | Miss Completely » | Jacobs is USA1 » | sniff sniff » | Half Way Home » | for love or money » | the universe is calling » | And Then There Were Two » | Advice From Kate » | Half Done »

counting noses

Maybe you've noticed the pretty little multicolor box in the nav bar on the right of this page. Some of you have clicked on it. I'll wait while you do it now. Ok, welcome back. Until fairly recently I'd been blogging in the dark. Which, incidentally, feels very strange. I'm talking to myself, full of the belief that somebody is actually listening, but upon nothing in particular to base that hope. Ah, the lightbulb went off. Add a counter. Easy. I checked out a couple and ended up with Site Meter. It seemed the least annoying of the couple services I considered. Now, with the click of the pretty little box I get to learn more about all of you, too. I can, if there is one, see the referring URL (how you got to me in the first place). It tells me where in the physical world you are when you check my blog. It tells me how long you stayed and how many pages you loaded. Occasionally I can wheedle out of Site Meter which site you visited right after me. Does this change things between us? I sort of think it does. See, there's something nice about surfing the blogs -- checking in (or, I suppose, up) on someone without having to orchestrate an actual interaction. Before, I was in a fishbowl (a fishbowl of my own design, I'm not complaining) and you looked at me. Now we're looking at each other. Almost face to face. Sort of makes you want to stop visiting? I hope you won't. I'm pretty sure you'll come back, because most of you are my friends. Most of you found the blog because I showed it to you and you're willing, for the moment, to indulge me. Thank you for that. Seriously. Thanks. Some of you find your way here in other ways. I'm every bit as curious about you as you are about me. In the last day or two I've seen visitors from new places. Istanbul and Verona (I'm guessing bridge players). Help me out -- the suburbs of Wichita, Kansas? Atlanta, Georgia? Southold, New York? Some time when you have a spare moment, stop in and say hi.

Touching my e-wall. The watchers are being watched. M

Post a Comment