« Home | in the news » | home » | big fork » | quiet » | polebridge » | the eagle » | big sky » | peace and quiet » | wonder » | happy anniversary »

reading

The Night Listener, after hearing Robin Williams on Fresh Aire with Terry Gross, and I am reminded of the Francine Prose I read a few weeks ago. The power of that work has become evident: I am reading (much more) closely and learning so much from it. Great writers really do write great sentences! I am completely smitten. I read some Armistead Maupin years ago when I worked at the Howard Brown Health Center (the Howard Brown Memorial Clinic, when I was there), but that was about getting a grounding sense of the culture of gay men. Now it's about reading as a writer... In other news, this morning I was sorting through the stacks of paper that come home from the elementary school while I was away. Apparently last Monday was Constitution Day or some such, the note from the Kindergarten teacher said that she was required to present information about The Constitution and would be curious to see what pieces the children retained. Ooh, I love this kind of thing! So, more than a week after the teacher presented the material, Kate and I had this conversation: "Hey Kate, did you ever hear anything about The Constitution?" "Yeah." "What is it?" "About the laws." "Who do you think wrote it?" "A lot of persons." "So ... is it a good thing or a bad thing?" "A really good thing."